Monday, July 22, 2013

Smokin!


I understand there's nothing more obnoxious than a reformed sinner preaching against his/her erstwhile vice, but I'm closing in on a position of banning smoking everywhere except a person's own residence. Having dined in Kentucky I was reminded of the absurdity of a non-smoking section of a restaurant (as someone already opined, like having a non-peeing section of a swimming pool).
I'm not as good at holding my breath as I used to be (may have something to do with the years I spent as a smoker). Here's the problem. Being outside doesn't makes your fumes less noxious. I hate having to run the smoking section gauntlet to get into a restaurant or mall or store. Laying by the pool or walking down the beach can be spoiled by the stench of tobacco. 
If you're still a smoker, want to continue to damage your health*, and don't want to see an outright ban on your vice (which, I agree, wouldn't work, but would at least get the smoke away from those who don't want to breathe it), might I respectfully suggest you indulge in your "right to smoke" in a way that is extraordinarily considerate and realize that just because you're outside doesn't mean we can't smell what you're dealing.

* This does not deal with the costs that all of society bears in terms of more expensive health insurance, lost productivity, etc. That's a whole 'nother topic.

1 comment:

  1. This may be the one positive of living in Oklahoma. Smoking is prohibited in all restaurants. there is exception for restaurants in which liquor sales make up a certain percentage of the revenue, but I never frequent those. Restaurants can have a completely enclosed and ventilated smoking section, but few do.

    ReplyDelete