Sunday, August 4, 2013

Guns & Safety, Part 2

We visited Orlando's Sea World for a day at the tail (not a whale’s tail) end of our vacation. Had I read about the new movie Blackfish in advance of that trip, I wonder if I’d have attended at all. But I digress (already).
That Sea World, located in Stand-Your-Ground Florida not far from Sanford, had virtually no security (or even posted signs that I noticed) to keep concealed weapons out of the park did not make me feel at all secure. To be fair, though, I also didn’t really think about that fact until I saw the canine security team patrolling the audience at the Shamu show. That actually did make me feel slightly more secure until I decided that team probably was aimed more at those who would protest the treatment of the whales than any actual concern for the safety of the audience. 
Someone else’s ability to legally carry a concealed weapon doesn’t make me feel any safer. Before the eye-rollers lose their vision, I’m not trying to undo what is now the law in all 50 states. I am arguing, however, that those of you who want to feel more safe by carrying a loaded lethal weapon actually make me feel less safe. 
Of course, I’m not a criminal and, in theory, am unlikely to do anything that would make a person carrying a concealed weapon draw it on me. However, I have no control over what the person walking or driving next to me might do, and your need to “stand your ground” over some perceived (or even real) threat does nothing to ease MY fears. 
Still, it seems to me that those who would brook neither restriction nor even discussion of what might be reasonable limits (background checks anyone?) on Second Amendment rights fail to recognize the irony that their need to feel safe by carrying a concealed weapon not only makes me feel less safe, but that my feelings don’t count compared to theirs.
    I will concede, however, that the ubiquity of “conceal/carry” laws has done one thing to make society at least a tiny bit more civil, if not necessarily safe. For my small part, I have put my “trigger finger” (no, not the real one that I’ve never used to fire a gun) in a permanent holster as I drive and confine my opinions of other drivers to mostly private mumbling and grumbling. Hey, I never know if the idiot who cut me off or ran the red light is carrying or not and could perhaps feel threatened by such a visible demonstration of my thoughts. 

On Guns & Safety (Part 1)




6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I think it's sad that we live in a world full of paranoia that people feel a need to carry a weapon. I have felt conflicted for a long time. I think people have the right to defend themselves but, it doesn't make me feel any safer when I know some people that carry a firearm and, they are the exact people I would not let carry a weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former student of yours and knowing full well the wisdom you carry; I dont wish to argue the right to bear arms. I do acknowledge the thought of feeling less safe with people your not firmilar with carrying a weapon. However this country was built on a constitution that provides us a right to carry a firearm, the same as it does for you to freely express your opinions in an open forum. Those two rights go hand in hand and without one the other would not be possible. Thus the differences that make this country great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. I understand, and even agree with for the most part, the right to bear arms as outlined by the Constitution. The 2nd Amendment didn't need to deal with the issue of concealed weapons; anyone carrying a firearm (a tool of necessity in a country where about 90% of the population lived in essentially rural areas) in the late 18th century was clearly identifiable. I don't think there was a big problem with Derringers at that point (if, in fact, they'd even been invented). I don't believe background checks would infringe on those rights and would make me feel at least a little safer.
      I'm pretty sure you and I could have a civil discussion and perhaps even find a compromise solution. I'm also pretty sure no one will give us the power to make that kind of decision.
      Again, thanks for reading and commenting. Best wishes to you and your family.

      Delete
    2. Mr.Berndt,
      Nicely written. I worked in Chicago for two months this year in the South Suburbs. If you have not been there, it a very rough part of town. When I was there, the local law prohibited conceal and carry. What made me nervous was that only the criminals had guns. Really.

      Delete
    3. Understood. That is clearly not my situation. As noted in Pt. 1, armed I'd be more of a danger to myself and my family than to any outside threat or force.

      Delete
  3. Bob, we've had a concealed carry law in Oklahoma for a while. We now have an OPEN CARRY law. For some reason this makes me even more nervous, perhaps because of the type of person think would openly carry a .45. Even before the concealed carry law was passed I was having lunch with a friend and commented my amazement that we were even considering such a law. (Bear in mind I came to Oklahoma from a more civilized place.) "Oh, there's lot's of people packing," he said. "I'm packing right now." I haven't had lunch with him since.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete