Thursday, November 29, 2012

Coach


Sep 6, '09 5:20 PM
for everyone
From the anti-coach (in my first year or so my Hancock English Department had "coach" type polo shirts made mocking the real coaches by awarding ourselves "team" titles) to someone who will only reluctantly leave the field when I'm no longer physically able to do the job....

I've been associated with the Webster Groves HS softball program since 1990 (Hancock 1986-2001), with a  short break when Hancock moved to the Fall and I couldn't be in two places at the same time. But since returning to the program four years ago I've so enjoyed working with the girls and helping some of them make the transition to an ever-improving varsity program that I can't imagine a life without coaching.

I couldn't have been happier and more proud of our girls after our varsity (seeded #11 in a 16-team field) beat #6 (former state champion Lafayette), #3 (perennial powerhouse Summit), #2 (powerful Oakville) and #1 (Parkway South) to win probably the toughest tournament outside the state championship, the Suburban South/West Tournament. (See link)

I was truly touched that Head Coach Bryan Gibson over-honored me with a game ball at practice Friday. I hope he kept one for himself (but I'm betting he didn't), because he has built a program that made such an accomplishment possible. I love being a follower of a true leader. It's given me an incredible opportunity to work with wonderful young women and talented, dedicated coaches.

But mostly I love the title that I once denigrated... "Coach." That's not a new realization for me; I've felt that way for decades now. It didn't take me long to appreciate how much time and effort it takes to do a good job for the kids for whom you've taken responsibility. It also made me a better teacher in the classroom. The non-athletic growth that the girls realize from an athletic activity is tremendously important. Another way to make a difference. I'm thankful to Hancock and Webster, the girls from both schools, and the parents (and grandparents) who supported them, for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment