Thursday, December 20, 2012

On Guns & Safety


For obvious reasons, the issue of guns, regulation, availability, safety, etc. has reared its head (again) and demanded our attention (again).

Disclaimer: I belong to a minority so small we don’t even have a support group: American males who have never fired a gun (not even a BB gun). Neither do I feel particularly deprived, either culturally or emotionally, by my utter lack of experience in this area. Clearly I don’t have any skin in the game of gun rights, so it’s easy for me to come down on the side of increased regulation. And I recognize I’m wading into (for me) uncharted and dangerous waters, almost certainly outgunned.
 
That being said, I have some questions that (to me) are based on logic about guns in the home. I understand how people believe they are needed for the protection of family, hearth and home. But if you have children in the home, surely you keep your guns locked away, preferably with a trigger lock, and unloaded. (One experience I do have, sadly, very sadly, is attending the funeral of a child who was accidentally killed with his father’s handgun. It was over a decade ago and the family has yet to recover. He was a good kid, just a teenager showing his Dad’s gun to a friend.) Aren’t those the recommended safety procedures? Isn’t that why they sell gun safes at Cabella’s?

So my question is this: In the event of a home invasion of some kind, how much protection is this weapon? Under the stress of the moment, you’d have to retrieve your weapon, load it, unlock it and then accurately fire at the intruder(s) who probably make their living as armed criminals and also probably are in close proximity to your family. I prefer my odds with submission to almost any and all demands. Maybe you don’t, and my (serious) question is this, given the parameters laid out above (safe storage of firearms), how much help is this weapon, especially if, while you’ve been retrieving your weapon, your family is literally under the gun?

Admittedly I don’t live in a neighborhood where there have been lots of home invasions, or even burglaries. Quite frankly, neither do most of you, but never mind that. I do have an alarm system. But I don’t believe I can do much beyond that precaution that wouldn’t endanger my family more than protect it. Again, I admit that giving me a firearm of any stripe would make more of a danger to myself and loved ones than to any professional (or probably even amateur) criminal. It seems to me that the odds of an accident (I have a decorated police officer friend who shot his dishwasher, although not fatally) are better than the odds of thwarting an armed intruder. If their goal is my destruction, I don't like my chances, armed or not. If their goal is my property, they’re welcome to it.

Let me be clear. I am NOT trying to take away anyone’s right to own weapons for protection or recreation. I’m a realist, and while no guns in anyone’s house wouldn’t bother me, I recognize that there’s zero chance of that happening in America, although I’ve yet to hear a convincing argument for the right to own assault weapons or extended cartridges (if that’s the proper terminology). However, neither am I convinced that turning your home into an armed fortress is really a reasonable or, more importantly, safe, alternative.

It probably goes without saying I’m not a fan of arming teachers, although it might have the unintended consequence of improving classroom discipline. I’m pretty sure just drawing the weapon would quiet a class pretty quickly. As noted, I’m a realist, so I’m under no illusion that I’m going to change anyone’s mind on the issue, but I do think I’ve posed a reasonable question. I’d like to hear reasonable answers.

5 comments:

  1. I just wonder if its me or is there more paranoia that makes people think they need to carry a weapon? Is the world really that bad that we all need to carry a gun? Should I dig a big hole in the yard and start stocking it with food and water? I feel no need to carry gun. I know someone that has a conceal and carry permit but somehow I don't feel any safer knowing he has a gun strapped to his hip. In fact I wonder how he even qualified to carry a gun it doesn't give me much confidence in the system. I have hunted and I don't find much enjoyment in it. Hunting for me is a means to an end. If I had to hunt for food I could but I prefer to go to the grocery store and push a cart. I have a gun safe and I have guns in there but I don't worry about someone breaking in and having to defend myself. I think guns have purpose but for some it is to do harm and unfortunately one life lost is to much. I wish I had the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob-

    I enjoyed your entire post.

    I am in a slightly larger bubble than you, however, in that I have fired a weapon. I once shot a .22 caliber rifle at a paper target in Boy Scout camp. I also fired my uncle's handgun at a soda can once on his property. And I also (although I am ashamed to admit) went "hunting" with a neighborhood friend once when I was twelve, which amounted to the two of us firing his pellet gun at a rabbit about nine feet away.

    Thus, I am much more experienced than you on the subject.

    I had a discussion just this past week with a colleague who owns multiple guns, including an assault rifle I imagine to be similar to the one used at Sandy Hook. He too claimed these weapons are required for home protection. I don't get it. With all the protective measures one must take to keep these weapons out of the hands of his own children, how can these guns possibly be of any immediate use in a home invasion scenario?

    I think you hit the nail on the head with this line: "If their goal is my property, they're welcome to it." Unfortunately, and I hope I don't sound too flippant, but we live in a world where too many think they can be John-Frickin-Rambo in the moment. And that is an ego-maniacal mentality that cannot be reasoned with.

    -Murphy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. I agree with last paragraph, but decided not to add that subject. We all like to think we're exceptional and the exception; mostly, we're delusional, but I have enough of my own that I don't try to relieve other people of theirs. I just think it's a fine to invisible line between keeping our family safe FROM guns and keeping our family safe WITH guns.

      Delete
  3. I have to say I'm with my father in law on this one. I don't own a gun, though I've certainly fired them on different occasions - 30.06, 9mm, .22, numerous pellet guns and bb guns. I don't really get it either, it seems like a gray line between safety and safety - if you keep your family protected you aren't necessarily keeping them safe, and vice versa.

    I have no illusions that I'm any kind of commando capable of taking down an attacker. I've never been in the military or fired a weapon at another human, and I don't feel like I can judge anyone who's had to level a weapon at another person in the name of country, family, community safety and have no desire to take away he rights of folks that have been in that situation or feel like they need arms to protect themselves.

    I'd like to think I'll go to great and possibly extreme lengths to protect my family, without concern for my own safety, but I don't believe anyone knows how that situation will go when it comes down.

    I guess where I settle in this is that I've probably got as much chance of disarming someone with a weapon as using one, safely, to stop them and that's my line of demarc.

    My hope is that our society will take this opportunity and think hard about what we could have done to keep Adam Lanza from getting to the point he did.

    What else about our country's tactics and techniques for dealing with and identifying disturbed individuals might be improved before we continue to drag or emphasize this no-win issue out again and create additional divisive lines we all don't need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Berndt,
    I read the entire post. I agree that you would have concerns, being that you have never been trained in firearms, nor having ever fired a gun. I do own several firearms, a few specifically for home defense, others for target shooting and range time. I also have children in my home. Their safety is at the forefront of me being a responsible gun owner. My long guns are stored, unloaded in a 1,000 pound safe, bolted to the floor, where my wife and I are the only ones who know the combination.
    The guns which are primarily used for self/home defense are in one of two locations at all times, either on my person or stored in another small safe in close proximity to where I sleep. That safe is opened by a biometric lock, which I have programmed each of my fingerprints into. Again, no one but myself or my wife can open this safe. I intend to keep that control over my firearms. I will eventually teach my children to shoot, but only under my supervision, and they still will not have access to firearms, as I will not give them access to either storage safe.
    Given the methods in which I choose to safely store my firearms, I feel secure in knowing that I have the ease of access, and an emergency and egress plan, should we encounter a home invasion. Furthermore, I have received extensive training in both mindset, weapons manipulation and stress management while serving within the US Army Special Operations community. Honestly, I have more training and am more capable than the vast majority of police officers that would even be responding to my call for service.

    So, in short, assuming that I am able to retrieve my firearm and flashlight, which both are within an arms reach of where I sleep, before a home invader gets into my bedroom, I'd have to say that my specific plan is completely workable.

    Now, I know my specific skill set is much different than the majority of people out there, but nonetheless, it is my situation, and I was only answering your question.

    ReplyDelete