Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Quick Review of 42

Thanks to the lukewarm reviews I had read (mediocre to "fine"), my expectations were lowered entering the theater for this biopic of the arrival of Jackie Robinson into the majors. However, we (my co-reviewer, Carolyn, and I) thought it was good.

One of the criticisms is that the movie soft-pedaled the nastiness of his reception. Probably a fair note, IF the goal was complete historical accuracy. Nevertheless, what was presented certainly made the hatred and picture of the times clear. Any more and the movie would have become so unpleasant as to be unwatchable. I don't doubt or deny that what Robinson experienced was far worse than what was depicted, but if your goal is to help your children, or someone, or yourself, understand what he went through, it succeeds.

Carolyn and I are suckers for this kind of movie, virtue triumphant, numerous heroes (reprehensible cardboard villains representing the age), good acting (I'm not a critic and not too hard to please -- I'm not suggesting Oscar buzz, although I thought Harrison Ford was a good Branch Rickey). None of the characters were deeply drawn, but most were at least adequate representations.

Another critic suggested the portrayal of Jackie Robinson was inauthentic, that it made him into a two-dimensional paragon instead of the complex man he really was. Again, while certainly a valid criticism., if you want a complex portrait, find a good biography. That's not the purpose of this movie.

We thought 42 was worthwhile entertainment; I don't regret dropping the price of admission and popcorn for the evening. I predict it will become a classroom staple, and deservedly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment