Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Blessings Warmed by Hanukkah Lights


As Thanksgiving and Hanukkah coincide this year, I thought I’d take this unique opportunity to reiterate how much I gained from the four years I spent teaching at Schecter/Mirowitz; that starts by being thankful to my first head of school, Rabbi Allen Selis, who opened the doors to that learning community and allowed me to join.
I’m thankful for the warmth and welcome from my colleagues, kids and parents. I’m thankful for the opportunity to have watched faith in action. I’m thankful for the four different Jewish studies teachers I shared a room and time with – Michael Raileanu, Sarah Miller, Rabbi Ari Kaiman, and Rabbi Suzanne Brody – who were always happy to answer my questions and even let me participate when I couldn’t keep my mouth shut (unsurprisingly, a not uncommon occurrence).
They weren’t the only ones who shared their faith with me, of course. While it would take too much space to list everyone, Sue Albert, Rabbis Mordecai Miller and Carnie Rose, and Susan Low were more than generous with their time and knowledge; Rachel Armoza and Cyndee Levy expanded my culinary horizons. One of the beautiful things about hanging out with Jews is their willingness and desire to share their faith and culture, but without trying to impose their (incredibly, wonderfully diverse) values and beliefs on you.
Finally, I’m thankful for all the parents who shared their wonderful children with me, who trusted me to do my job and to care about my students in my own way. Some of those parents became my friends, and I don’t just mean Facebook friends. So did some of their kids. But all of my students from those four years will join so many others, from Hancock and Webster, as fond memories in a blessed life, illuminated and warmed this year by the glow of Hanukkah lights. 



No comments:

Post a Comment