Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Spirit of '76....

I am 76 years old. According to my doctor, I am blessed to be hale and healthy with no serious physical threats on the horizon.* I exercise regularly, daily if your definition of “mixed cardio” is generous enough. I continue to be mentally active, reading, writing, thinking critically. I’m confident I could complete multiple tasks in my skill set. 


But probably no more than one or three in the same day, depending on their complexity. And I certainly don’t have the stamina or mental agility to be President of the United States. Or President of Anything. Those leadership days, however limited they were “back in the day,” are clearly in my rear view mirror. Actually, cataracts have diminished even that clarity, although I’m assured that can be fixed. Someday. I’m not happy about any of this, it frustrates me on an almost daily basis, but (I like to think) I’m a pragmatic realist who tries to place mindfulness over denial; thus, “it is what it is,” to co-opt the cliché. 


The point (“The boy does ramble,** doesn’t he?”) is that I strongly support adding (upper) age limits to the Constitution. Not just for President, which is the most important, but for all listed offices, including the Supreme Court. 


I do not deny that we will force some competent, experienced men and women out of jobs they are more than capable of doing, especially because they all have minions. No doubt institutional memory may take a hit. Youthful vigor and new ideas/ways of thinking seem to be a worthwile tradeoff, to me. We already keep talented young men and women out of offices due to age now, as well, so I’m okay with paying that price. 


In fact, I believe age limits is a more important delimiter than term limits, although I’m coming around to supporting that as well, if only because it would, eventually, serve more or less the same function. Presidents are already term-limited, but we have seen both major candidates (and other leaders) exhibit innumerable examples of declining mental acuity over the past few years that should give any objective voter pause.


Do not expect the establishment to jump on this bandwagon, of course. Giving up power (and wealth and prestige) is an uncommon sacrifice. But if there’s a petition out there, sign me up.


* Of course, because I trust him and pay him lots of money, I also follow my doctor’s advice on things like medical tests, lifestyle recommendations, vaccines, etc. iI I don’t trust my doctor to give me good advice, I probably need a new doctor, right?

** NOT age-related, as many witnesses will attest.

No comments:

Post a Comment