Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Short, Random Political Thoughts


It’s a fair criticism of the president that he’s seemingly indecisive about Syria. Those who are distrustful of the Russia plan are certainly justified, based on the past and character of current leadership. Those who oppose military action have any number of reasonable objections. Those calling for military action also have valid arguments. I don't have an answer myself, except to say that the isolationists have always turned out to be on the wrong side of history.
Syria clearly represents a classic “Damned if you, damned if you don’t” scenario -- and that’s about the only thing that is clear. It’s hard to pick a good choice when all you have are bad options. The real problem for the United States is that few of us trust anyone to make any decision we don’t already agree with and the “truth” in this dilemma is not at all clear. We’ll be left with history as the judge and I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for clarification from that source.

Here in Missouri we have a billionaire trying to preserve the law he bought in the last legislative session. Sorry, you’ll not convince me that Rex Sinquefield and his ilk have anyone’s best interests at heart but their own. I’d prefer he spend his money sponsoring chess championships, which I contend will have more positive economic impact than his tax plan.
I’m not saying his plan can’t work. In fact, I, personally, will probably be an accidental beneficiary of it. I am saying that the average Missourian is not really his concern. When in doubt, I tend to go with those who at least try to have the average person’s best interests at heart. The final straw for me is the frantic advertising campaign, which ranges from disingenuous to dishonest. That’s enough to solidify my opposition, but I’m represented by one of the few Democrats in the House, so I’ll just be watching from the sidelines as it becomes even more embarrassing to claim Missouri citizenship. Sharia Law? Nullification? Really? 
I think I’m going to stop correcting the people at telephone call centers when they use the wrong abbreviation for Missouri (MO), except that the options of Michigan (MI), Mississippi (MS) or, inexplicably, Montana (MT) don’t seem all that attractive as alternatives.

Cartoon by Gary Larson. I have the coffee cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment