Monday, December 9, 2013

Delayed Cruise Diary, 11/15/13, Belize



As the debate rages (well, at least simmers) over extending unemployment benefits in this country, this might be an interesting time to cover our visit to Belize. “If you don’t work, you don’t eat,” our guide said proudly as we drove to more Mayan ruins. (I’m a history geek, but not so heavily invested in the Mayans; I tend to think if you’ve seen one set of ruins, you’ve pretty much seen them all. The weather wasn’t conducive to other  trips, however.) I hear some heads nodding vigorously as she continued, “We have no social welfare system.” They also have no educational system, having turned that job over to various [Christian] churches which they subsidize (with or without favoritism, I wonder?).

Some Americans have even relocated to Belize. For that reason? I don’t know, but I appreciate the irony that Americans have been given land by the government. So does that constitute a social welfare system for wealthy foreigners in exchange for their spending power? The (relative) poverty and lack of infrastructure is obvious and wide spread, and I don’t see how subsidizing Americans will result in enough trickle down benefits to the people to make a significant difference.
One thing I noticed in both Belize and Guatemala was an abundance of trash piles. I’m sure the people are efficient in the concepts of reuse and repurposing, but the detritus is piled up around houses and along the roads, marring the supposed beauty of a lush tropical paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment