Saturday, November 29, 2014

Joys of Aging, Part ?? -- I forget

Well, I took advantage of the beautiful end-of-November day and the holiday lights are now up, just waiting for dusk to illuminate the house. I’m not sure, however, if I have perhaps reached the stage of life where I ought not be climbing around on a roof. There were no close calls, no less-than-subtle messages (which are about the only kind that I respond to any more) like gasping neighbors or 911 calls, or sliding down the roof toward the gutter, or jumping from tipping ladders….
One of the real advantages of aging (unless you’re a victim of terminal immaturity, but those types seldom actually reach old age) is that you substitute increased caution for decreased dexterity. Advanced planning also helps, which reduces frustration, because dealing with that is not one of my great strengths and leads to carelessness.
And, of course, by advanced planning I mean never taking down the lights from last season. No, not really; but I still don’t have the system quite down pat, as the outdoor outlet will remain unused for yet another year because I started with the wrong end of the light chain. However, I did label the strands to go in the right order and I didn’t have to figure that out (as I did for at least the previous 4-5 years). The garage outlet doesn’t mind, I’m sure. It probably gets lonely, anyway. It’s not like there’s ever been a car in the there to keep it company.


No comments:

Post a Comment