Thursday, November 29, 2012

Aftermath 11/5/08



Nov 5, '08 6:46 PM
for everyone
Finally, a winner. What a relief (I am so thankful for DVR and my iPod transmitter). More than any election in my memory, this would have been a crushing loss, a message to all those newbies, "Why bother." (To the extent -- about one-third, according to polls -- that newbies on the other side feel that way, part of me wants to say, "Don't bother next time," but really, I'd just suggest a more inspirational candidate [I'm not thinking Sarah Palin or a clone].)

It would be nice if the hate-talkers actually give President Obama a chance to screw up before skewering him; oh, too late, I heard bits of Rush Limbaugh today. The lack of respect these petty pontificators have for Senator McCain is clear by the way they completely ignored (or even ripped, in the case of RL) both the content and spirit of his gracious concession speech. I hope President Obama finds a way to co-opt McCain and the most reasonable Republicans and let the right wing shrink their tent to irrelevancy. They love to call on the spirit of the Founding Fathers, ignoring the fact that our country was founded on a series of compromises. Cherry picking the (often contradictory) thoughts of the founders is as disingenuous as selective citation of the Old Testament, conveniently ignoring that which doesn't suit their immediate purpose.

Thanks to the courage of Barak Obama and the enthusiasm he created, my granddaughter will take for granted something that no previous generation could even envision -- that anyone can become President (although why anyone would want that job and the abuse that comes with it is beyond me).

Watching history last night was worth today's sleep deprivation! Plus, I don't have to listen to the gloating of my family -- at least not yet!

5 comments:

  1. Terri Kung wrote on Nov 5, '08

    Thank goodness we now have someone intelligent, thoughtful and disciplined heading into our highest office. What is the mood like in Missouri...being the undecided state? People seemed unusually cheerful in NY today. Or maybe I was just euphoric and projecting my feelings on others around me. Since I'm not a public figure, I can say what Michelle Obama could not say. I am proud of the citizens of the U.S. for the first time in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Berndt wrote on Nov 5, '08

      Well, all our friends (and daughter/SiL) are thrilled, but that probably says more about who we are friends with than Missouri. Even some McCain voters are at least expressing a degree of hopefulness. My father and I didn't discuss the results (probably best!). I agree with you (and MO).

      Delete
  2. Bill Berndt wrote on Jan 21, '09

    I have always been proud to be an American. Even Jimmy Carter was unable to chip away at my pride in being part of the greatest country in the history of civilization. And Michelle Obama not only could say it, she did - twice. Too bad it took personal achievement on the part of her husband to find the United States to be worthy.

    Do we have warts and flaws? Of course. Have we made mistakes? Certainly. Are we perfect? No. Should we be ashamed to be who we are? Absolutely not.

    No one responds to other countries in crisis like the United States, and our private donations to those in need far outstrip the contributions of those from the wealthiest nations. No one has liberated more people from tyranny and misery than we have.
    Rather than finding fault with every thing you don't like about our country, let's take pride in the good we've achieved. What kind of a world would this be without us?

    And I'm getting a bit tired of the "intelligent" nonsense about a guy who doesn't know how to use "an" instead of "a" when appropriate, or say something inspirational without a script.

    I hope his presidency is successful to the point that I can't wait to vote for him in 2012, but let's see him do something now. The cult worship needs to sit on the back burner for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri Kung wrote on Jan 22, '09

      Interesting that I am able to feel pride and respect in America's accomplishments at the same time that I feel ashamed of our misdeeds and mistreatment of others. I suppose in the same way, I feel overarching pride, respect and love for my son, but at the same time don't hesitate to correct him when he hurts someone else. Nor do I feel proud of his actions, until the time when he corrects, and if necessary, apologizes for the bad behavior.

      Delete
    2. Bill Berndt wrote on Feb 6, '09

      I love who I love, am friends with my friends and am proud of my country because of many things and in spite of a few. I am ashamed of none of the above. I draw a distinction between shame and regret.

      Expanding on my previous mention of Mr. President's inability to properly (or ever) use the word "an" I found his pep rally speech to his minions at the Dems' retreat quite interesting. As much of a kick as everyone seemed to get out of Palin's habit of dropping the "g" on words ending in "ing" (and as admitted enunciation snob it grated me to no end), it seems that Mr Obama does exactly the same thing now that he has less time to rehearse.

      Delete