Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cruise Diary, Day 4 – At Sea


Apr 18, '11 4:20 PM
for everyone
4/18/11 4:08 PM
I’ve just finished my first Kindle-book. It’s not a toy I would have bought, but my Schechter friends gave one to me as a “thank you” for working on the final ISACS accreditation report. It’s one of those gifts that ends up costing you money as you buy books to read because you have the reader. But I like it. It’s lightweight and easy to use, especially once you learn to keep your fingers off the advance buttons. There are page-turning arrow-buttons on each side of the device, so at first I found myself advancing the pages when I meant to go backwards. There are also (smaller) page-back arrow-buttons on each side which I inadvertently would hit. My logic would be a button on the right to advance and one of the left to reverse. But I’m right-handed and perhaps their actual set-up is designed to be southpaw-friendly as well.
My first e-book was Uppity. Baseball fans of a certain age will recognize the name Bill White from his years with the Cardinals in the 60s and the world championship team of 1964 (also the title of an excellent sports/social history book by David Halberstam). Bill White was one of my heroes on the team and I haven’t quite gotten over my parents refusing to buy a house in Des Peres because he lived there. Something about property values and black people. It was a different time and different upbringing, but I’m sure I could have played major league baseball had I just had the chance to play a little catch with Bill White! Well, maybe not. Good book about baseball, baseball politics, and social history. I’d give it 4 stars out of 5.
Smooth sailing today, although Carolyn’s delicate digestion suffered a little from mal de mer. The water is incredibly clear and blue, reflective of the sunny skies under which we’re traveling. Tonight’s our big dinner night, dining in the premium restaurant and belatedly celebrating our 40thanniversary. We’ve enjoyed talking about how many of our friends would enjoy this experience, either on their own or with us. It’s been almost 10 years since our last cruise, but I’m thinking our next one won’t be that far in the future. And perhaps, like most of the passengers with whom we’ve talked, we’ll be able to claim multiple cruises on this line (Regent Seven Seas).

No comments:

Post a Comment