Thursday, November 29, 2012

On Being Right 11/17/07

Not that I've lost interest in the topic of sin, and actually I suppose you could find a relation in what follows, but if I don't write what I'm thinking right now, it will never be retrievable in this form.

Legacies are funny things. As my career is winding down I think more of that. But this is about how I want to be remembered. Thanks to their ubiquity, talking heads, especially of the right-wing variety (but I'm guessing most left-wingers will also qualify), are almost impossible to avoid (well, the left-wingers are certainly easier to avoid!). Do they ever wonder about their legacies?

I've decided that being "right" is way over-rated. For the brief moments that my name might come up, I want to be remembered as a nice guy, one who treated people well, the way he would like to be treated. Most of the screeching-heads are mean, or at least mean-spirited, especially in the way they treat people with opinions different than theirs. For them the most important thing is to be "right." Even if I were to concede that their view is "right," (and I certainly don't) they're still mostly jerks. I can tell you what I DON'T want my legacy to be: "The SOB may have been smart, but he always had to be right."

Here's the other thing about being right. It is my observation that those for whom being right is their priority don't LISTEN to (sometimes they barely even HEAR) those with different opinions or points of view. Listening involves respectfully analyzing a point of view other than their own, which might actually lead to doubt...

You see, unlike the certaintists, I'm willing to ask, "What if I'm wrong?" It's tough being superior! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment