Thursday, November 29, 2012

Please, no more "reaching out"


Jun 22, '12 3:22 PM
for everyone
If I get one more e-mail or phone call with someone “reaching out” to me, I hereby declare that I cannot be held responsible for any violence that may result from people trying to reach out to me. I may just reach back and you may not like the result. If you’re on a jury, that expression should qualify as a “justification defense.”
I’ve had so many people reach out to me in the last six weeks as I deal with the paperwork for my father's death that I feel like a tourist in a Calcutta slum. The worst part is that all these “reachers” are mostly letting me know that there’s really nothing they can do to improve the situation or fix whatever problem it is that they’re reaching out to me about. Still, they continue to reach with their empty phraseology.
I mostly wish they’d keep their hands to themselves. Isn’t that something we try to teach in elementary school? So, whoever is in charge of buzz words of the month, please be advised that the shelf life of “reaching out” is over, the expiration date long past, the expression green, slimy and far more annoying than comforting.
Okay, I feel a little better now. It’s the weekend and I don’t expect anyone to reach out to me until Monday, so they might just be able to withdraw their hand before I chop it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment