Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Schechter Saga, Book 2, Chapter 2


Oct 13, '10 10:54 PM
for everyone
I still don't have my 6th grade legs under me yet, and I question whether I'll establish the same bond with this 8th grade as I did with my first group (I think my novelty was more, shall we say, "interesting" to them; this bunch is less free-wheeling, less responsive to my quirks, quips and tangents). But I like both groups and am getting a feel for what I need to do for all of us to be successful.

I'm feeling less like a mercenary (or temp) and more like part of the team, a team I respect. I'm more comfortable and feeling more free to be my own weird self (which was pretty much on display with my kids last year, if not my public persona with the staff). I'm looking forward to doing my part at a recruitment/retention open house. I'm not suggesting this school is a fit for everyone, but I believe it does serve a valuable function and alternative, and genuinely tries to accomplish its mission. I want to help with that as best I can.

I'm also more and more appreciative of the opportunity I've been given, to continue teaching and my career, and to experience a completely different atmosphere and demographic. Even in education, jobs aren't exactly low-hanging fruit and I was lucky to get the opportunity.

I have kids who thank me every day after class. That still kind of throws me. Over the past five years (good grief, have I really been back to coaching at Webster for five years now!?!) I've had softball team girls thank me regularly after practice, as well as their parents. But I've never felt this level of appreciation as a teacher (from administration, board members, parents, everyone). During my years at Hancock I would have seniors say something, students on special occasions, get a warm word from an occasional parent, get thanked by a graduate somewhere down the road. Ed Stewart used to write thank you notes, while, if not spontaneous, were sincere. But every day after class, from sixth graders? 

I must confess, I like it. A real energy booster (and I'm reaching the point where I need energy boosters, and I'm not talking Red Bull!). What happens down the road will happen, and I'm good whatever, but I've really enjoyed this journey, however long or short it turns out to be. 


1 comment:

  1. Bliss Bev wrote on Oct 17, '10

    I think your experience is like most of us who give our lives to some type of service driven career. That being said, I feel pretty certain that you have touched many lives that you will never know and who will never thank you for it and it is the ones who do say thank you that helps keep the battery charged. And for the record, thank you!! for being the best teacher in my educational life and I know I said this before but trust me, without your influence I would have taken the path of my other siblings. A path not strewn with good works and meaningful gestures. You cant drink Red Bull every day but once in awhile, it feels pretty good.

    ReplyDelete