Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Schechter Saga, Book 2, Chapter 6


May 4, '11 11:08 PM
for everyone
One of the best things about teaching at a Jewish school has been attending outside events that have at least some connection with religion. Because it is seemingly impossible to be at one of these events without stumbling over at least a couple rabbis, there is always an ample supply of religious mentors and instruction for the likes of me.

It initially happened attending my first Bat Mitzvah. Rabbi Mordecai Miller (one of the multitude of kind people I've been fortunate to meet through this job) sat down next to me and provided me with running instruction and commentary throughout the (3 hour!) ceremony.

Tuesday the 8th grade left for Israel and, in addition to the parents, I joined school staff and five rabbis (one is our Head of School and another was doing double-duty as a Dad) at Lambert Field. As we congealed into a minor obstacle near the check-in counter, a prayer for safe travel was offered. Again, I was the beneficiary of running explanation and commentary, this time from Rabbi Carnie Rose.

I say this with a light-hearted touch, but I find it warm and welcoming. There's nothing evangelical about the practice (at least not so far as I can discern), no attempt to fix me, just a sincere desire to teach and explain what is going on and why so that I can understand, if not fully participate in, the ceremony.

It's just one reason why I'm looking forward to my third year at Schechter and you can look forward (?) to the third book in the trilogy. But there's at least one more chapter in Book 2 in the not too distant future.

1 comment:

  1. Terri Kung wrote on May 9, '11

    I often joke with Jewish acquaintances here that growing up I thought all Jews were teachers since the two Jews I knew (consciously) were my teachers. I'm with you that I find religion fascinating. Living in a community where 40% are Jewish, 40% are Italian or Irish and Catholic and the rest of us are a mixed bunch international expats and outsiders, I find many opportunities for observation and reflection.

    I haven't yet had the pleasure of experiencing a Westchester NY Bat/Bar Mitzvah, but then my son is only 7. This past weekend, however, we did attend a first communion for one of his friends. I found myself dredging my memory of Catholic rituals that I learned from friends in Lemay or learned second hand from my own Protestant confirmation classes, in order to explain some of the ceremony to my son and husband (both heathens, the former especially so). As you said above, everyone was warm and welcoming, so it was a pleasure to be included in an important rite of passage for this family's children. And we helped them celebrate afterwards in typical Westchester fashion...in a country club dining on trays and trays of Italian delicacies. It can be fun to to an outsider looking in.

    ReplyDelete