Thursday, November 29, 2012

Why Obama 3/1/08

Why I'm supporting Obama. I am prepared to be disappointed. I can live with early mistakes in a learning curve. I don't really think that will happen; he's a very bright guy. But even if he's a political disaster, we've shown that we can survive eight years of moronic leadership. Nevertheless, I believe that Barak Obama represents our best chance to move forward and make some real progress in race relations.

We (here in Webster Groves) just suffered through the nightmare of our sister-neighbor suburb of Kirkwood, a tragedy brought on, at least in part, by too many years of isolation and discrimination. Charles Thornton at least perceived the presence of racism. It seems clear to me that his perception fueled his mental illness (and news reports indicate his family fed the perception, as well) to the point of tragedy. However, as the saying goes, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you." I'm not making light of the tragedy, but as deluded as Mr. Thornton may have been, it would be almost equally delusional to think he hadn't experienced racism first-hand. Is there anyone in Kirkwood asking themselves, "Would I have treated Mr. Thornton the way I did if he had been a white guy?" The answer, for most people, no doubt, is "Absolutely." But I have a hard time believing that such an answer is accurate for everyone with whom he had dealings. Noting my thoughts above, Mr. Thornton was convinced he was right, that he was the victim of racism. Convinced he was right, he refused to listen to any voices of moderation or contrary points of view presented to him.

Which brings me back to Senator Obama. His election would signal (certainly not the end of racism, because there will always be those who are too ignorant [either willfully or naturally] to see beyond skin color) the beginning of hope that race will no longer be used as either a weapon of blame or excuse. One of the reasons I was a supporter of Bill Bradley in years past was because I believed that (at that time) he, of all the candidates, had the clearest understanding of the importance which the problem of race is for this country and the most insight into dealing with it. It may be naive for me to hope that if we break the race ceiling, we can assume the breaking of the gender ceiling, as well, because I assume that the gender ceiling is lower than the race ceiling. Although I wouldn't spend a lot time trying to defend that view to a woman thinking the contrary. Perhaps my position represents only wishful thinking, not reality. Perhaps I'm wrong (see blog on being right).

Oh, and he's really smart. That would be different!

No comments:

Post a Comment