Thursday, November 29, 2012

Toxic Talk 3/21/08

I visited my father Friday. He had on Fox News (Bill O'Reilly, in this case), as usual. Our visit was short because he clearly cared more about getting his daily dose of dudgeon than anything we had to say. Which is fine. We got to our therapeutic beverages a little sooner.

But here's my point. It seems to me that listening to the talking (screaming?) heads all day (Fox News may be the best, but certainly not the only case in point) is like sitting in a teachers' lounge listening to your colleagues complain about how bad the kids are or in the employee break room carping about the idiot managers, etc.

Even if everything being said is true (and it seldom is because it represents only one point of view), immersing yourself in a toxic atmosphere only poisons your soul (which, ironically, I do sort of believe in, just not the immortal part) and darkens your days. If you choose to worship at Our Lady of the Perpetually Pissed, well, that's certainly your prerogative. But don't look for me in the pews. Life's too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment