Thursday, November 29, 2012

One Year Rental (Schechter IV)



Dec 11, '09 10:19 AM
for everyone
No, I'm not talking about Matt Holliday, although I don't think the Cardinals have much chance of signing him. He's never said one thing to indicate that he will do anything but take the biggest payday, which is certainly his right; he owes St. Louis nothing. I concede the possibility that he is dutifully following his agent's script to gain the best contract from the place he really wants to play (and that could be St. Louis), but I'm skeptical.

Using the ballplayer analogy, however, I'm guessing that I, like Matt Holliday, am just a one-year rental at SSDS, the veteran who can sell his services to fill a temporary need. Let there be no mistake, I'm fine with that, am glad I could help because this has been a year of growth and learning. The kids may have benefited, too. The school is (constantly, apparently, according to the veterans) restructuring itself. [Change is the one constant in the ed-biz.] This year the "Upper School" is grades 5-8. The consensus is that 5th graders in general, and next year's group in particular, are not ready for anything like Middle School, which means SSDS will need to hire another 5th grade teacher and will have 3 full-time staff losing 4 slots from their schedules of this year.

I didn't major in math and am not certified therein, but I can add. My 2 slots are going to be extra. Now this assumes all the current staff stick around (and I've never been around as unhappy a group as this ever, not even when we threatening strike at Hancock every 6 months or 60 memos, whichever came first). But I don't want to work full-time, which limits my value. The counseling gig is taking increasing amounts of time and had I wanted to continue in counseling, well, I retired from the Place for a reason. I don't really mind that piece of the puzzle, but it doesn't turn me on and I have neither elementary counseling certification nor experience (although I'm getting more of the latter than I anticipated).

I'm pretty sure I'll look around to see what's out there. I've mostly enjoyed myself this year. I really need an agent, but I think Scott Boras is busy.



1 comment:

  1. E Carl Anderson wrote on Dec 12, '09

    If you DID get an agent, it should be someone who"plays well with others"; definitely NOTScott Boras!

    ReplyDelete