Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cruise Dairy, Day 6 – Bermuda


Apr 21, '11 4:48 PM
for everyone
4/21/11 6:26 PM
For all the doubters out there, the citizens of Bermuda seem to believe that climate change is occurring; they see it in their coral reefs. Of course, what do they know? These are people who get almost all their drinking water from tapping and cycling the rain.  Why should we respect their opinions on living harmoniously with their environment (on volcanic outcropping in the middle of the Atlantic).
We enjoyed the coral reef tour in the glass-bottomed boat, but really more because of the information provided by the captain and his assistant than any stunning visual sights. They jogged the little I knew about the history of the island and added some rich detail. May be worth a little more exploring. As far as the reef and its ecology, I guess I’d rather watch Michel Cousteau. Apparently Bermuda is too far north to generate the bright colors you see in film. While it might be interesting, I don’t see myself taking up SCUBA diving anytime soon. We were just a little late in the season to watch the humpback whales that are making a comeback just a few miles off the coast of Bermuda; that I would like to see.
I’m a little worried about being able to make it back on the ship in time before we set sail to the other end of the island for our last stop in Bermuda – 5 a.m. I guess if it leaves without us we’ll have to get a taxi to St. George’s. Sigh. We’ll just have to stop partying early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment