Thursday, November 29, 2012

Death Dancing



May 2, '11 3:49 PM
for everyone
No, it's not a new reality show and I hope I didn't just give someone a (bad) idea. I find some of the banner headlines in newspapers around the country disconcerting and in bad taste, both on a personal level and as a former journalism teacher.

I've been pleased to learn that I'm not the only one at least a little conflicted about the reaction to the death of Osama Bin Laden yesterday. Mine won't be a popular position, I guess, but I'm disturbed that some of the response to his assassination could be confused with photos and/or video of celebrations for winning the Super Bowl or World Series. While I have not a shred of sympathy for him, neither do I find cause for that kind of celebration.

We just killed the leader of a group that opposes our world view. Admittedly, this was a man who not only advocated the murder of innocents as acceptable strategy, but who bragged about it. I understand the probable strategic necessity of eliminating the head of an aggressive, unrepentant terrorist organization. But we also need to understand that there are those who view our president (whether GHW Bush, Clinton, GW Bush, or Obama) as the head of a terrorist government. That we know they're wrong has zero influence on the certainty of their belief. Granted that terrorists probably already feel justified, but have we not just legitimized political assassination by a foreign government?

If it's acceptable for US to kill OUR enemies in a sovereign nation not our own, why is it less acceptable for THEM to do the same? Can we legitimately condemn actions of others that we take ourselves? Will the flag-waving, USA-chanting street dancers shrug off similar reactions in countries where we have few friends when it is one of our own who is the target? Vengeance has always been a two-edged sword with an insatiable need for fresh blood.

As I say, I'm conflicted. I refuse to second-guess our leadership in an area where they are far more knowledgeable than I. I respect the ability and courage of our intelligence and military forces to conduct a strike in hostile territory with no loss of innocent life (with the possible exception of the woman allegedly used as a human shield). I empathize with the sense of (at least) relief felt by those who experienced personal loss in the 9/11 attacks (but I'm betting that few of those people were among the delirious crowds).

My qualms about the action are one thing, but they pale in comparison to my qualms about some of the reaction I witnessed. 

2 comments:

  1. From my friend, Norm Berkowitz.... (For discussion purposes)

    Bob – I’m not on Multiply so I can’t reply to you on it. I thought you might find the link below interesting.

    I share a discomfort of celebrating the successful assassination of anyone, but I can’t agree with you on our clear obligation to do it. I guess I don’t see it as a political assassination. I see it as the most effective means of elimination for a cold blooded murderer whose only purpose in life is to kill people like you and me. He didn’t just advocate murder; he planned and executed it. He seemed to thrive on the enormous suffering and destruction he lived to commit. How many suicides later of those so traumatized with loss. I think we had a clear obligation here. Any country protecting him is to me clearly violating our national security.

    I’m with you in terms of of how to react to this. I see no reason to cheer in the streets. It saddens me that we have to take a human life to protect other lives, but I do think this needed to happen. I think in some ways the Bin Ladens of the world force us to lower our value of human life. He’s past any continuum of human reasoning or negotiation and forces us to make the crappy decision. We’re forced to become assassins to protect ourselves from someone who won’t stop killing. I think we’re forced to compromise our most sacred feelings about the worth of human life. It’s really pretty sickening.

    Anyway – just some of my thoughts. We can fix the world at lunch when you’re done with this silly work thing you do.

    Check out the link below – I think it puts an interesting perspective on it.

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/02/gadiel.son.killed.bin.laden/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. And from my friend/brother-in-law, Dave Cole:

    Have you forgotten that you are an American? Now it seems that we not only have the right to determine how others should behave, but we are obligated to force them to accept (for their own good).

    I do however feel no remorse in the loss of such a misguided person as Bin Laden, but for a "Christian" nation to rejoice is somewhat hypocritical. I also fear that perhaps we have created a martyr and that his disciples may wish to join him while inflicting pain and worse on the West. Perhaps the "eye for an eye" philosophy tends to create more than just blind justice; sightlessness seems to follow.

    Like you, I can't help but feel a great deal of admiration toward the brave and extremely skilled special forces that completed the mission.

    I would rather have seen more somber marches of appreciation instead of celebrations

    ReplyDelete