Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quandry


Oct 29, '11 3:11 PM
for everyone
Feel free to comment on this, but I'm mostly writing to help me sort out my own thoughts.

I'm being recruited to run for the Junior College Board of Trustees seat in April. It's certainly flattering, but whatever political aspirations I ever fantasized about went away many years ago. (Okay, I still sort of fantasize debating [and shredding, of course] wing nuts on the right, but I do recognize it's just fantasy). I certainly don't figure this to be the beginning of a career in politics; I'm not that delusional, nor would I really want to undergo the personal scrutiny and truth-twisting that automatically comes with the territory of partisan politics these days. Neither do I expect a phone call from Senator Danforth and the nascent third-party movement any time soon.

I do, however, believe in the value of the Junior College District, that it represents perhaps our best hope to train or retrain Americans to compete in the increasingly fluid local and world labor markets, to offer the opportunity for regular people to retain or attain middle class status in a country where that membership is shrinking, almost daily, it seems. I also have enough ego to think that I might bring something to the party besides chips and dip, that I could articulately and pragmatically advocate for all the constituencies involved in the JCD, assuming that I could actually win an election.

But should I commit to an election that I don't really care if I win or not? I certainly have no real intention (nor do I want to make the time) of campaigning, going door-to-door, telephoning, fund-raising (ughh!), etc. If someone wants to put my name out there and make some yard signs, fine; it might give me the opportunity to serve.

On the other hand, I've just come off my busy time when all my energy has been pretty well sapped with teaching and coaching. I'm only now starting to catch my breath. The thought of adding more evenings of meetings doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.

My father is needing more of my time, more than I've really had to give him since August until just about now. His needs are not going to decrease, which means the responsibilities of my brothers and me are going to increase.

My school will also be different next year (merged and, presumably, bigger)  and while I'm reasonably confident I'll still have a job, I don't know what it will look like or whether I'll want what is offered. I'll have yet another "principal" (Head of School) and new challenges that will keep me out of coast-mode (not that that's a bad thing, but will require continued and possibly expanded time commitments).

If I were sure I would be well and truly retired next year, the JCD position would be more attractive (having no responsibilities may sound good, but would not be good for me), but I don't think there will be any certainty about that in the near future, and I'd hate to commit to something I could only give a half-uh-baked effort to.

On the other hand (just how many hands does that make now?), this is kind of a cool opportunity that I'd also hate to pass it up. There's no guarantee, of course, that I'd win (especially with my ambivalence),  although because I'd run in and represent the South County/City area, I expect I'd have some, albeit limited, positive name recognition among friends and formers. I don't know how hotly contested these seats are.

So I sit and ponder, procrastinating about making the phone call to even discuss the possibility of becoming a candidate. As I often told students, no decision is also a decision. Throwing yourself into the unknown fits into the "Grow or die" mode to which I've always at least given lip-service. So many aphorisms, so few that fit perfectly.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Storm TMB wrote on Oct 29, '11

    I wish that the BOT of our former community/community college did something other than agree with the founding President and choose a crappy new President. A couple of the Trustees had real insight and experience, but they were out-numbered by those who were there for the title only. My favorite board member (still on the board 13 years later) voted against purchasing PeopleSoft as our ERP, because we really ought to be able to get what we need from Best Buy. Really?!?! Boards (and the employees and students of those districts) NEED people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhett Oldham wrote on Oct 30, '11

    Like many questions that we all grapple with, you have already answered your own question. While appealing, this is a classic example of right job, wrong time. The College Board will not go on hiatus when softball season rolls around. Your family schedule is certainly a concern as well. Sure, you could mail it in each month and have your name on the letterhead but that is certainly not you.

    As the old jazz standard says, "Something's gotta give." While you would outstanding at that position, I think you already know the answer. As always, wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete